Thoothukudi shooting incident made the country look back

Even after 6 years, the battle will not go away

Today marks the 6th anniversary of the incident in which 15 people were killed in tamil Nadu police firing on protestors against the Sterlite plant in Thoothukudi.

A Sterlite plant owned by Vedanta Group was operating in Thoothukudi district, one of the coastal districts of South East. copper was manufactured in this plant and distributed throughout the country. Also the copper produced here was exported to foreign countries. However, the people of the area were severely affected by the toxic fumes coming out from this company.

The company continued to operate despite various violations against the environment. But the Central and State Governments and the Vedanta Group, which only took into account the profit that could be made from the company, continued to run the plant without any disturbance.

The people of Thoothukudi and social activists have been protesting against this plant for many years. But the central government and the state government did not listen to their voice. Instead the plant management was involved in the expansion of the plant. Enraged by this, the public took up a series of protests against the company and continued to fight in charity. As the protest reached its 100th day, all the people gathered together and went on a procession to meet the district collector and give a petition.

It was said that the collector was not in the office at that time. As thousands gathered near the collector's office, the impatient police department resorted to caning, thinking that they could disperse the crowd by using batons. The public lost their patience and registered their protest by pelting stones against the police. The police department, at a loss as to what to do with the unruly crowd, finally resorted to the maximum power at their disposal.

Vaikasi visakha Festival; Lakhs of devotees flocked to Tiruchendur to see Kandan

Accordingly, the policemen got on the vehicles and started firing indiscriminately at the protesters. 15 people were shot and killed on the side of the public while the people were running here and there. But chief minister Edappadi Palanisamy, who was in charge at the time, replied nonchalantly that he had seen the shooting incident on television.

The one-man inquiry committee headed by retired judge Aruna Jagatheesan, in its inquiry report, recommended taking action against 17 people, including the then district collector, South Zone IG Sailesh Kumar.

Meanwhile, the 6th anniversary of this incident is being observed today. On behalf of the tamil Nadu government, minister Geeta jeevan paid tribute to the deceased by sprinkling flowers.

Find out more: