This time, Telangana's impoverished women would need to search elsewhere besides the State government for their customary Bathukamma sarees, a custom to which they had become used during the previous seven years. This is due to the congress government's lack of indication that it will continue the custom of giving sarees to underprivileged women during the seven-day flower festival, which is a vital component of telangana culture.

With the Bonalu festivities starting and the Bathukamma festival just a few months away, it appears that the Bathukamma saree scheme, which was started and carried out by the previous BRS government for seven years—even during the Covid pandemic—has been shelved. The government has not given any orders to weavers. Every year by January, the former government would make orders with weavers, who would then deliver the sarees to the government by September. The government would then distribute the sarees from late september to early October.

Since 2017, the State government has provided over one crore Bathukamma sarees annually. These sarees were manufactured with roughly 240 distinct types of thread borders, available in over 10 eye-catching hues and 25–30 various patterns.
However, the State government seems to have chosen against placing orders for Bathukamma sarees this year, despite the fact that numerous powerlooms closed down due to a lack of work and that at least 12 weavers and auxiliary workers died by suicide after experiencing financial difficulties as a result of unemployment.
The worst aspect is that the weavers won't be able to guarantee the sarees in time for the Bathukamma celebrations, even if the government changes its mind and issues orders right away.

The congress government's position on the plan has hurt more than only the State's impoverished women and weavers. Ancillary workers like as labourers, hamalis, auto drivers, and many vendors who supply raw ingredients and manage saree transportation have all benefited indirectly from bathukamma saree sales.
Beginning in 2017, the State government placed orders for about one crore sarees, with a budget of between Rs. 330 and Rs. 350 crore. Roughly 90% of these were produced at Sircilla, with the remaining 10% coming from karimnagar and Warangal. Giving sarees as gifts was not limited to Bathukamma or dasara celebrations; it was also practiced during Ramadan and Christmas.

The congress complained to the election commission of india last year, claiming that the BRS administration had kept 1.02 crore sarees in 250 patterns ready and delivered them to distribution sites. However, the congress was not permitted to distribute the sarees.
The State government is required to make this policy choice. Bathukamma sarees have not yet been discussed, a top Handlooms official said "India Herald."

The State administration has not commented on the Bathukamma saree orders in the past seven months. Another official stated that there was no clarification or confirmation of any alternative plans, and that there were just two months left for the Bathukamma festivities. The official further stated that the chances of the weavers receiving the orders are slim.
Weavers met with members from padmashali Sangham and the weavers' cooperative organisation last wednesday at the Secretariat. They explained to the minister for handlooms, Tummala Nageswara Rao, the difficulties they are facing owing to a shortage of employment, and they asked for the government's assistance.

Find out more: